Saturday 8 February 2014

Would you go to Great Lengths to get Great Hair?



Hey ladies!




Its been a while since I published a post but this one is definitely worth the wait!



A lot of people have been asking me to do a post on hair extensions, and which ones i use in particular.
I have tried nearly every method of hair extensions available on the market. The first ones I ever tried resembled something Bob Marley would wear (I think most girls my age did). Those braids were all the rage back then! Since then I've tried clip ins, keratin bonds, micro beads, weft of hair attached by tape, weft attached using glue and even weft sewn on to the head.

(Image: www.euronaturals.ca)


(Image: www.kristenlock.com)  

   (Image:www.18inchhairextensions.com)





The clip ins are one of my most used methods. After I have keratin bonds removed I usually apply clip ins (human hair) to give my hair a break. Clip Ins can usually can last up to maybe 6 months depending on how often you wear them and wash, style and expose to heated stylers. They aren’t always the best for your scalp as the metal clips can rub off your scalp with repeated use and eventually even create bald patches where the clips are worn.


The keratin bonds (individually installed strands of human hair) usually you could get anything from 2-3.5 months out of these but you have the possibly of matting with this method. For various reasons, mostly not caring for them properly, the bonds can soften and start to matte into something resembling a birds nest at the back of your head! Ugh, not good! This method though is the norm for most extension wearers. I love these due to the fact they are attached to your head and you don’t have to remove or alter throughout the day and when you tie your hair up you can’t see all those hideous rows and clips sticking out. It looks more realistic really. The hair is generally of great quality but one thing I have learned is definitly to get them removed professionally. I usually go to Hotlox hair extensions for my own clip ins and keratin individual bonded hair extensions. I would say they are the best quality in budget hair in Ireland.



What led me on to try the next brand or method of hair extensions, was when I was pregnant and feeling like i really really wanted to have a hair makeover once this little one was born. I wanted to get some fab “because I’m worth it” hair and after a lot of research i decided that Great Lengths seemed to be the way to go. They seemed to be the “Rolls Royce of Hair Extensions”.

 I had my first set applied in a very well known salon and absolutely fell in love with the hair i got. I loved the colour match. The cut was amazing. The only down side was I suppose the price and I felt if i was going to pay that much I would have left feeling like I was royalty but that wasn’t the case.

      





 It wasn’t til a later time when i spoke to a friend that I realised that there are many salons around the country that do the exact same extensions for a fraction of the price. After speaking to a trained Great Lengths extensionist i became aware of their pricing guidelines. A salon can charge whatever they want to apply these extensions but they have a minimum that must be charged in order to prevent salons from going into a price war and undercut each other. Makes sense really. Its a good idea to shop around for these extensions. 

They do insist you call in for a consultation to quote you on a price for your hair. Every single person needs a different amount of hair and therefore would be different prices. I found that for my own hair I needed 6 bundles, where a full head is classed as 4 bundles, so they couldn’t possibly give an accurate price over the phone.


I had my consultation for my 2nd set of Great Lengths and I was delighted to find out that with my local salon it was maybe up to a third less than what I had previously paid. My new favourite little hideaway for hair “Plush Hair Waterford” is where I went. Lisa who owns this salon (from her home) is so professional and down to earth and her prices are very good! I can’t recommend her any higher for the amazing job she did on my hair. I went for a longer length than last time, which was 50cm mixed with 40cm but i had to get it cut as this length proved to be too long for me to manage. 


I think the 40cm is definitly enough for most girls and I will stick to that length when i get my 3rd set! :) I can safely say that i would definitely go to “Great Lengths” to have great hair!


Love Sam x

(Before and after picture courtesy of Plush Hair Waterford)

No comments:

Post a Comment